Help Our Heroes
Thousands of healthcare workers, truck drivers, grocery clerks, at-home delivery personnel, mail carriers and others on the front lines of this pandemic are heroes – risking exposure to COVID-19 to help others. Let’s help aid in the health and safety of these heroes by making face covers!
Join the Association For Creative Industries (AFCI) and make and donate homemade face covers to businesses in your local communities to slow the spread of exposure and infection of COVID-19.
How to Create Face Covers
Basic Supply List
While there are many tutorials on the internet, the basic equipment you will need is listed below:
- Fabric (Densely woven is recommended)
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Face covering should reach above the nose, below the chin, and completely cover the mouth and nostrils; fit snugly against the side of the face; be made of multiple layers of fabric that you can breathe through; and, be able to be laundered without damaging the material or shape.
- If you plan to donate your homemade face coverings to your front line and essential workers in your community, we recommend calling ahead to see if they have any requirements or donation instructions.
- Share your photos and stories with AFIC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Engage Your Local Communities
- Hold virtual "Sew a Face Cover" parties.
- Post a tutorial on how to sew a face cover (engage your influencers and educators to participate).
- If your store does not sell fabric and sewing supplies, consider ways your customers can use their additional creative interest - can they attach a handmade "Thank You" note to each face cover?
- Consider offering a store discount or credit for a certain number of face covers created.
- If you have an online store and are still shipping products to your customers, consider selling "Create a Face Cover" kits or pre-cut fabric at a discounted rate.
- When fulfilling orders for your customers, provide extra fabric to those who commit to participating in the campaign.
Where to Donate
Contact organizations within your local community to confirm they’re accepting homemade face covers and discuss their process as to how you can provide your face covers with no-contact:
- First responders, such as fire, police, EMS
- Hospitals or urgent care centers
- Social workers
- Nuring homes
- Sanitation workers
- Warehouse and factory workers
- Grocery stores
- US post office or mail carriers
- Delivery drivers, such as UPS, FedEx, Amazon
- Water and sewage utility services
- Post an ask or availability of face covers on your personal social media and make the permissions public to share
How Can I Spread The Word?
Download AFCI’s Campaign Toolkit for sample email communications, social media posts, and graphics to help you spread the word on this initiative to your customers and peers!
Help Us Stitch Together Your Stories
Share your stories or tell us how you are helping using #facecoversforworkers on social media or send your story to email@example.com.
The Association For Creative Industries (AFCI) is the premier trade association for the global creative arts products industries. AFCI is committed to its vision of a healthy, vibrant and innovative community that enriches people’s lives through crafting and other creative activities. As an organization, AFCI strives to deliver innovative high value services as we support our members who provide products and services to educate, entertain, and inspire creative consumers.
The American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN) is the professional association of licensed nurses who promote the health and safety of workplaces, their employees and their families.