The AFCI Bylaws is the governing document of the organization and its members. These bylaws dictate organizational structure, decision making and more. Click here to access the AFCI Bylaws.
AFCI’s governing model, Policy Governance, is designed to allow the Board of Directors to focus on what AFCI needs to achieve over the short and long term, delegate aspects of the operation and monitor to ensure that these initiatives occur. Click here to access the AFCI Policy Governance.
Member Code of Conduct
The Membership of AFCI commits itself to ethical, businesslike, and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and decorum at the highest level when acting on behalf of AFCI. The Membership of AFCI will consistently fulfill the purposes set forth in AFCI’s Bylaws, Policies, Code of Conduct, Core Values, and Strategic Vision. Please see AFCI’s “Policy Against Harassment” document to see the zero-tolerance policy that shall be followed by all members. The Disposition of Complaints and Disputes involving AFCI Members states that complaints or disputes should be discussed immediately with the AFCI leadership.
Policy Against Harassment
AFCI has a zero-tolerance policy toward intentional or unintentional discrimination and all forms of unlawful harassment. AFCI is committed to enforce this policy at all levels within the AFCI. Any person within AFCI Membership, when engaged in prohibited discrimination will be subject to discipline up to and including immediate discharge from their position or removal from their leadership position for a first offence and/or termination of his/her membership.
- Sexual harassment may take many forms, including offensive and unwelcome sexual invitations, conduct and or physical contact.
- All types of harassment include and are not limited to sex, age, disability, perceived disability, family choices, personal appearance, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, experiences, economic situations, occupation, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Computer, Text Messaging, and Information Systems should be used appropriately. AFCI Membership is particularly cautioned that the use of email, voice mail, text messaging, or any other electronic messaging system, or the Internet, may give rise to liability for harassment. AFCI Membership may not generate, welcome, or forward any message or graphic that might be taken offensively based on sex, gender, or other protected characteristics listed in section.
- Online Communities – AFCI is not responsible for screening communications in advance and will not actively monitor AFCI’s Online Communities. For this reason, is it essential that the users on the Online Communities, network, website, or other suitable term, determine that a user’s participation does not create a liability for AFCI or that the user has violated the policies established in this document. AFCI reserves the right to expel a community user that violates these policies.
Social Media Policy
The Association For Creative Industries (AFCI) social media platforms exist for AFCI members all over the world to engage with each other and connect about issues and trends relating to the creative industries. As with all AFCI programs and events, the activity on these social platforms should reflect the values of AFCI. This policy covers anything mentioning AFCI on social medias such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Blogs, You Tube, etc. These are just examples and not all-inclusive of every type of social media platform. This policy is meant to cover any activity on social media associated with AFCI including representing yourself as an AFCI member and/or leader on social media or in an AFCI sanctioned space.
- Please make sure that you are posting appropriate content that represents AFCI in the most appropriate way.
- Nothing which is illegal where AFCI is headquartered (Chicago, Illinois, United States) may be promoted or advertised. Something legal in your state or country may be illegal in another area. When in doubt, check with AFCI staff.
- All AFCI members agree to AFCI’s code of conduct when joining the Association. Any infractions of the Code of Conduct and/or this Social Media policy which cannot be resolved may be referred to the AFCI Board of Directors for further review.
- AFCI is a diverse and inclusive Global organization and encourages members to create a safe and welcoming environment for all. This means accepting different backgrounds and points of views in a respectful environment.
- AFCI does not discriminate. Any language or images which are discriminatory of any kind based on race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status such as disability, age, marital and family status, sexual orientation and gender identity, health status, place of residence, economic and social situation in accordance with the USA Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment laws are not to be used in an AFCI associated platform. Forms of harassment include written, images, video, emojis, etc.
- When participating in AFCI branded social media groups, please refrain from personal attacks and arguments.
- We provide an organization that fosters mentoring and the development of professional and personal networks
- AFCI’s “Policy Against Harassment” document applies to all AFCI social media interactions. This is a zero-tolerance policy that shall be followed by all members.
- When posting on social media, consider the content to ensure it is professional and applicable to both the social media platform and to AFCI. Do not use AFCI social media to spam members with business offerings, job postings, etc.
- We conduct our activities in a professional manner, demonstrating and demanding the highest standards of business practices.
- Please use appropriate language - no profanity in all social media interactions representing AFCI.
- It is important to not share personal information for both yourself and others on social media platforms. This includes government identifications numbers, bank and credit card information, addresses, phone numbers, etc. Although social media pages may be considered “closed” or “private”, they still are in a public domain.
- We share a common definition of success with open, transparent access to common information, building mutual respect and confidence in the competence of those with whom we lead, serve and partner with.
- Appropriate actions should be taken by moderators such as removing posts and blocking users as appropriate if these policies are not followed.
- AFCI members who participate as social media owners and group moderators for AFCI branded accounts are charged with up-holding policies daily. AFCI HQ staff is available for support in controlling and communicating with difficult users but assumes primary enforcement rest with the members of the social group.
Process for requesting an AFCI Branded Account:
- New social media groups who want to form as affiliated with AFCI should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AFCI staff will review the request and let the entity know when their group is approved and the requestor can create the account
- All accounts will be tracked via a database by AFCI staff to ensure that there is knowledge of all AFCI social media accounts on the various platforms.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
At AFCI, we acknowledge and respect the value of a diverse community. We recognize that the scope of diversity includes race/ethnicity, religion, family status, age, physical abilities, sexual and affectional orientation, actual or perceived gender, gender identity and expression, socio-economic status and occupational focus. Our association will maintain an environment that is supportive of these elements, and we will promote inclusion within our organization and the creative community.
We Commit to:
- Fostering a community that is inclusive of diverse perspectives.
- Encouraging the interest and active participation of under-represented minorities within the creative industries.
- Providing support to members that acknowledges and respects differences in family status, sexual orientation, age, and physical abilities.
We will ensure that all bylaws, policies, and charters support AFCI's commitment to diversity. We will align with and participate in those activities and organizations that encourage all dimensions of diversity.
Consideration of these and other elements of diversity will guide the statements and activities of the Association. Nothing in this statement is intended or shall be construed to unlawfully deprive any person of his or her educational and employment opportunities, compensation and/or benefits.
Statement on Observances
AFCI Policy Statement on Observances Supporting AFCI's core value of respect for the individual, it is important for all AFCI entities to respect the various religious, cultural, and national observances of our members throughout the world. As a US based, secular, non-profit organization, the association observes most federal US holidays and will avoid scheduling meetings, events, and business on these days. As an organization with members globally, all AFCI entities should strive to avoid scheduling meetings, events, and business during any significant religious, cultural or national observances applicable to the core stakeholders within that entity. For conflicts that cannot be avoided, members must respect each other’s choice to not attend and there shall be no retribution/penalty.
Leadership Code of Service
AFCI Leadership (including all elected and appointed positions) shall acknowledge the following Code of Service, indicating acceptance of the provisions included in this document.
By accepting an AFCI Leadership position, I declare that, in carrying out my duties I will: Exercise the powers of my office and fulfill my responsibilities in good faith and in the best interest of AFCI. I shall exercise these fiduciary responsibilities listed below, and understand that if I breach these duties or act in a way inconsistent with these duties, AFCI or its members may hold me personally responsible:
- Duty of loyalty – including acting on the best interest of AFCI and avoiding conflicts of interest.
- Duty of obedience – including obligation to pursue AFCI’s missions and objectives, and obey the law.
- Duty of care – including exercise ordinary and reasonable care in duties to AFCI, and acting in good faith.
I respect and support AFCI’s Bylaws, Policies, Code of Conduct, Core Values, and Strategic Vision. I will keep confidential all information that I learn about AFCI members, employees and any other matters specially determined by Board motion to be matters of confidence. Demonstrate due diligence and dedication in preparation for, participation in and attendance at meetings, special events, and in all other leadership activities on behalf of AFCI. Ensure that financial affairs of AFCI are conducted in a responsible and transparent manner with due regard for their fiduciary responsibilities and public trusteeship. Conduct myself in a spirit of collegiality and respect the collective decisions of the voting leadership body once debate has been concluded.